VIPKID Life: My Experience So Far!
Hello! My name is Kristen, and I have been working for VIPKID for 42 days as of March 22, 2018. I came to this company through a referral from a college friend. I was unfulfilled at my current corporate management job and was incredibly unhappy.I always thought my job would mean something and make the world a better place. It just wasn’t true at that point in my life. I decided to take the plunge and put all my effort into getting hired at VIPKID and making it a full-time job. So far, so good.
For those of you that don’t know; VIPKID is an ESL (English as a Second Language) website based in China that works with children between the ages of 4 and 13 to learn English from foreign North American teachers. It provides an immersive learning environment and encourages the students to speak in English about their own experiences. There are songs, games and it really meshes the Chinese and American cultures together for the student to compare and contrast the differences.
So I am sure you all are wondering: How is this working out for me?
Let me tell you, it sure has been a learning experience and one that had a bumpy start. I was lucky enough to be hired right after Mock 1 and was already certified for all levels except 1 and 6. (I really wanted it, I practiced for days. We can go over the hiring process in another post!) For the first 18 days that I was with the company, I did not have a single booking. I made the mistake of starting in Chinese New Year! Eventually, things picked up and here we are!
Completed Classes (March Only): 130 Slots
Pending Booked Classes (March Only): 66 Slots
Unfilled Slots So Far (March Only): 44 Slots
Followers: 20 Parents
Qualifications: Levels 1-6, Trials, and 4 Speciality Courses
Workshops Taken: 15 (1 Hour) Workshops
Substitution Classes Done: 9 Slots
Below are the 5 things that I learned so far at VIPKID!
1. Say Yes: The best way to get your name out there and become an asset at any company is by saying yes. I was asked to get certified for level 1 and 6 within a week of being hired. A lot of people have debates about getting qualified for certain levels because they don’t like the age groups, or “have always taught young kids”. By doing this, you are limiting yourself, your ability to grow and your student pool. I immediately took the workshops and quizzes and got certified. Another thing that I said yes to was substituting. Again, a lot of people do not want to do this because there is no prep time. I said yes and I’m glad that I did. I feel more confident in my ability to teach. I have a better relationship with the Firefriends! I got my name out there to students that may not have had me otherwise, and I made a lot of kids happy by being there! Don’t be afraid to try new things, you may really enjoy it.
2. Attend Workshops: VIPKID offers workshops that go over topics that teachers may need to be more successful at their jobs. I had 18 days of no bookings so I filled my time with going to these workshops. I learned so much! I met people in the community, learned things about the company that I did not know before and acquired skills that I may not have come up with on my own. Don’t assume you know everything. Rely on the community to guide you. Most of these mentors have been with the company for a long time, they want to build you up. I really think that these workshops have made me a better teacher and more prepared for the classroom experience.
3. Market Yourself: One thing that you may not know, is that there are over 30,000 teachers that currently work for VIPKID! Amazing, right? There are 10 times that in students currently, and the company is expanding to other Asian countries as well. The way parents get to you and you get booked is by marketing yourself. Now, I did take a workshop on this, and I definitely recommend you do so too. The first thing parents see is your profile picture. This one thing determines if they will click on you and read about you! There are other things that go into making a profile like your bio, photos, and video. All of these things are important. Appeal to the parents! (We can go more into detail about this, if you are interested! Let me know.) I have revamped my profile since taking the workshop and the bookings have definitely increased!
4. Participate in the Community: With any job, it is important to connect with your coworkers! VIPKID does a great job in this aspect. There are so many ways to connect with others! Facebook groups, meetups, and the community forum. All of these things are so important to my happiness at VIPKID! Sometimes you have questions, someone is always there to answer! Need to complain? Hey, sometimes we all do. People will listen and relate! I have gotten so much help from more experienced teachers that have been invaluable to me. (Like, did you know that bao bao means baby in Chinese? I didn’t. Don’t call students bao baos!) Working from home with no one around can be isolating. The community has made the biggest difference so far. I don’t feel alone. Next stop, meetups! I just have to find one close enough.
5. Have Fun: Have you ever been in a class where the teacher was just reading the textbook to you and you were falling asleep? Me too. We don’t want these students to be like that! Learning English is so fun and important for them, and we want to make sure they’re learning and having fun. This should be the easiest part of the whole job! These kids are so happy to see you. Most days, my face hurts from smiling so much! My students are so cute, and smart. They try really hard. If you have fun, they’ll have fun. When things aren’t stressful, learning happens! I have a wide variety of student ages and levels. I enjoy playing with my level 1’s just as much as I like having conversations with my level 6’s! Singing and playing games has really helped my moods too! Can you be unhappy and sing “If you’re happy and you know it”?
Those are all things that I have learned so far! I’m sure there will be many more things that come up over the months that I work at this company. I truly feel that I have found a place and job that means something and brings something positive to the world. That’s all I want. 🙂
Are You Interested in Joining VIPKID??
If you have a Bachelor’s Degree (In any major) and at least one year’s experience with children, then you qualify to interview for VIPKID!
I would be happy to answer any of your questions and help you with the interview process! My goal within the company is to be a teacher mentor, and help others be successful.
Please use the below link to start the application process!
Make Sure to Use My Referral Code: 07KBH1
If you have any questions before or after you start your application process, feel free to send me an email at TeacherKristenLRT@gmail.com. I’ll email you with answers and we can schedule a Skype call to practice! I want you to be successful. We can go over interview strategies, how to write the best application and practice your mock lesson!
THANKS FOR READING! FIN!